Saturday, August 8, 2009

An Oldie But A Goodie



You're probably wondering why I'm blogging about an old stand mixer...or maybe not, but indulge me nonetheless.
Who would have thought a 30-year-old Montgomery Ward stand mixer would have so much worth? Sure it's not the sleek color and design of a kitchen aid stand mixer...but there's so much life and story behind it...AND HORSEPOWER! This mixer is STILL going strong! (They sure don't make em' like they used to!)
My sweet mother-in-law pulled this guy down from her cabinet and offered it to me after hearing me dream (ahem...whine) about how I would love to have a stand mixer.
So, why so sentimental? This stand mixer was lovingly used to create the childhood birthday cakes and treats for her young sons and wedding cakes for her small business. She shared how often she used it and even reminisced of all the cakes she'd made (and taken pictures of...can't wait to see that album!). She then showed me some of her cake decorating techniques, gave me some pointers...and offered to show me more of what she learned! I can't wait!
This stand mixer opened up for us a fun afternoon playing around with frosting, chatting, baking and laughing. Now, it has a new home, proudly displayed on my worn counter and will continue to make sweet memories for our family.

No comments: