Friday, January 15, 2010

Potty-Mouth Patrol...



Like every household we have some no-no words. They are not particularly naughty, I suppose. It's just that they don't sound good coming out of a four-year-old's mouth. Among them are 'stupid', 'shut-up', and 'butt'. Ethan knows these words are not allowed and, therefore, takes it upon himself to remind others. We could be out and about or have guests over and when one of the red-flag-words are spoken Ethan quickly opens his mouth wide with shock and says, "Uh-oh!" It happens so quickly you'd think the 'FCC' just stepped in to bleep out the speaker.
The trouble is with the word 'butt' in particular. He doesn't understand that there is also another, 'but' which is used as a transition in a sentence. Therefore the potty-mouth patrol is constantly busting me in conversation. It would go something like this: "Yeah, I was going to go to the store, but..."UH, OH!" Then I'm trying to explain the word 'but' is different than 'butt' and everytime I say it he's saying, UH OH! Until finally I give up. It can be quite frustrating. I've had to start rethinking my speech pattern to avoid certain words. So instead I will say, "I was going to go to the store, unfortunately, I was running late." It's craziness! I guess my vocabulary is going to be extended, though it seems our good intentions are coming back to bite us in the "UH-OH!"

No comments: