Thursday, June 10, 2010

"Hello"...

Day 3...
If you're just now tuning in, start HERE.

I was so grateful for the summer break from college. Sophomore year was an emotional roller coaster. I had over-extended myself in ministry, struggled with feelings, was stressed to the max and ready for a change of scenery far away from campus. Incidentally, I was more than ready to go back to the summer job waiting for me year after year at a bank in KC. I was also totally pumped about a spur-of-the moment decision to help out with the youth group at the church I grew up in. I hadn't been back in years and there was a new youth pastor making some exciting changes. I was thrilled when he and his wife welcomed me to join the staff of about four other young singles for the summer.

I was bringing a bit more baggage home than just piles of laundry and old text books. I had sworn off guys, dating, flirting, and anything that had to do with the pursuit of marriage. I was DONE. It was all too much of a hassle and I was tired of the chase. I read 'I Kissed Dating Good-Bye' and thought the author had the right idea. Build friendships, get to know the opposite sex, but don't pursue 'recreational dating'. My parents thought I was being a bit extreme, but were supportive.

So, armed with my new relationship philosophy, I marched right into church that first Sunday morning, sat down and ignored every single guy who sat in the pews of the 'college section.' My plan was to scoot out of the service ASAP once the final hymn was sung. Before I could make my escape, a few of the adults grabbed me and we spent time catching up on lost years and debriefing on how my parents were doing. We said our good-byes and I started to head out, when I heard a familiar voice: "Nikki?" It was Brent. And, he was still cute. He extended his hand for a handshake and I extended my very sweaty palm to him. "How are you?" I'm pretty sure that by that point every other word out of my mouth was a stutter, but he seemed to ignore it. We chatted, got caught up on each others lives and didn't notice that the church had emptied long before. He was just as easy as ever to talk to. He expressed that we should get a group together to hang out. I think I said, "uh-huh." I was eloquent like that.

We said our good-byes, and got in our respective cars. I sat in my un-air conditioned car for a moment after he drove away and reminded myself that dating was not allowed. So what if he was super nice and polite. Forget the fact that he was pursuing God fervently. Stop checking his qualities against your 'husband list' and noting he was a match. No boys, no dating, no connections. I had, 'kissed dating good-bye'...

yep...there's still more...

No comments: