Thursday, December 23, 2010

Mmmmmm...Leftovers...

I'm not a big fan of leftovers. In fact, it's sort of a source of contention in our household, as my sweet hubby is usually forced (not by me...it's his own conviction) to finish those few remaining morsels camping out in our fridge. I always know the leftovers have waged war against us when medicinal penicillin has taken up residence. Gross.

Well, I'm not here to talk about reheated meatloaf and my aversion to it. No, I am bringing you a DIY project rewarmed and served three ways using the leftover felt hanging out in my craft box. Yep, it's official. I have a craft box.

Anyway, I originally purchased the felt to make these stockings as gifts:


I had a ton of felt leftover and kept racking my brain to think of what I could do with it, and then I remembered Emily's awesome fabric flower tutorial over at The Anderson Crew . I knew it would be the perfect use for all that felt! Using Emily's simple tutorial, I created a few flowers to grace another stocking (a gift to the little Mr.'s teachers).

They were a snap to make and as simple as rolling the fabric and securing the flower with hot glue. But, I didn't stop there friends...oh, no, I did not.

I loved making these so much that I thought I'd follow Emily's lead and turn these sweet little flowers into a necklace. I attached the flowers to a faux pearl necklace by putting a little hot glue on the back of each flower, and then attached them to the necklace:

If I were a good DIY blogger there would be a picture of the front of the necklace...but, I don't have one...I thought I took one...oh well, I have toddlers and life is crazy. Just take my word for it. It's way cute.

For my final leftover project, I decided to throw together a little something for the kiddos, ala last minute crunch time. I had been wanting to do something a little special to help tell the story of Christ's birth and create some craft where they could pitch in. I decided to go old school flannel graph:

I searched online for clip art of the various pieces of the story, printed them on paper, and glued them to the felt. Then I cut around the pieces and...voila! Instant flannel graph Nativity! It was a huge hit with the kiddos. Last night we sat around our tree and read the story from Luke 2. As we got to each point of the story, my sweet wee ones placed their piece on the board. They loved it, and we loved seeing their excitement over hearing the amazing story of our Savior's birth.

So there you have it! A few felt leftovers. Nothing went to waste, and I loved it so much that I might even eat real leftovers now...or maybe not.

No comments: