Monday, June 20, 2011

On the heels of Father's Day, what else could I post but a little recap.  I promise there's something for you in this if you stick with me friends.

We started the morning with homemade blueberry muffins.  I'm not one to toot my own horn, but this recipe is pretty yummy, and has even received approval from B's little brother Caleb (better known as Uncle K.K. in this house).

This is K.K...


Anyway, being the good sister-in-law that I am, I always make sure I whip up a batch of these muffins for K.K. when he comes to visit.  He once asked me for the recipe.  I gave it to him, and after making them he declared that, "His didn't taste the same as mine."  I reminded him that they just lacked my love. 

After muffins we Jackson's took a paddle boat around Gray's Lake.  If you're a Des Moines friend and haven't done this yet...do!  It's only $5, and totally entertaining.  A bit hot and sweaty but still fun!  AND...every month during the full-moon, you can take a moonlit boat ride.  Sounds like a winner to me!


Later that evening, we went to our favorite 'kids-eat-free' spot, the Gateway market!  I'm still daydreaming about my blackened salmon sandwich.

Okay, so before I move on to my next topic, I'll share the muffin recipe.  Make this and you won't be sorry!

Blueberry Muffins
(yields 24 muffins)

3 C Flour (I use white whole wheat, but regular is fine)
2 C sugar
1 stick + 2 Tbs softened butter
1 Tbs. Baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 C. Milk
1 1/2 C fresh or frozen blueberries
(if using frozen, thaw and rinse)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tins with paper liners.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.  Blend in butter until crumbly.  Reserve one cup of flour mixture and set aside (for topping).

To the remaining flour mixture, add eggs and milk, stirring until just combined.  Fold in blueberries.  Divide batter among the muffin cups, top with crumb topping and bake 18-20 minutes or until muffins test done, and topping is golden brown.

In other Jackson news, we received a very sad phone call yesterday afternoon.  B's grandma died.  We are so sad, but so grateful for the time we had with her, and I feel blessed to have known her these last 10 years.  She was really special.  So special that she was the mother of 15 children (B and I will not be trying to break that record anytime soon) and grandma to hundreds of grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  She celebrated 102 years in March...and as many family pointed out, it was 102 years filled with joy and love.  To have lived such a long life was truly a gift from the Lord.


Four Generations

It may sound silly, but one of the things I will always remember her for are the pumpkin rolls she would bring to Thanksgiving dinner, and the handmade doilies she gave as wedding gifts to each of her grandchildren. Both a tradition.

She has left behind an extremely rich legacy, and we hope to continue passing down a love for the Lord and family to our children. 

1 comment:

Pam said...

Nikki, thank you for honoring my Mother, Brent's Grandmother in such a special way! You are a blessing to me!! Love, Mom J.