Friday, July 30, 2010

Hooked On Phonics...

Okay, I'll admit, this post probably falls under the category of me bragging how my kiddo is super smart. So, I'll forgive you if you refuse to indulge me on this subject (especially since I know that your children are equally if not more intelligent).
But, I have to say, Mr. Ethan has always shocked me by how quickly he picks up on various skills. Counting and letters came easy to him around the age of two. Colors and shapes...no problem. Letter sounds, a breeze. He even laid a little Spanish on me. He is way smarter than I was at his age. I'll even try to trick him by putting things out of order and he'll arrange them correctly...I can't pull a fast one on him.
As of late, he's enjoyed maneuvering the letters from his play mat to try and make various words. Right now, he's working on three-letter words like DAD, PAT, MOM, CAT, DOG, ZOO etc. He displayed the above letter sequence for me one day and said, "Mama, what does that spell?" I said, "Well, buddy it doesn't really spell anything. But, good job trying to lay out the letters!" He would have none of my encouragement. He said, "Mama...sound it out!" I tried sounding out the gibberish before me, while the little Mr. praised and encouraged my attempts. I fell right into the trap of the role reversal, but felt better about myself when he offered me a, "Good Job!" sticker for my verbal blubbering.
Today my sweet hubby watched Ethan maneuvering his letters again, and decided to jump in my teacher/student territory to show the puppy a few tricks. So, this is what Ethan came up with today:


He was so proud of himself and, I'll admit, did an excellent job of sounding it out a la
'Word World' style: P-O-O (Pah-OOOO) POO! As if listening to poo talk wasn't enough, now he can spell it.





1 comment:

haverlee said...

that's quite hilarious. i love that he wanted you to sound that out!