Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Book...

A few months ago, I found myself sitting through a children's ministry training at church.  I was loaded up on donuts, juice and fruit, and chatting excitedly with friends...basically, I was preparing my body and mind so I could experience what it was like to be a four-year-old for a day.  Sort of like method acting.


After a few moments, the children's director stood in front of our group, welcomed us, shared her excitement for the coming year, but before sharing her vision, she said she would be sharing a book with us that made a huge impact on her.




She opened the book, and in perhaps the most pleasant and soothing reading voice, began reading the story.


A story of God's promise.  A story of a long awaited Redeemer.  A story of fulfilled prophecy and a promise kept.  My heart was caught in my chest as I listened to this story, taken straight from God's word.  I knew my own children, who have heard so many times of God's promise, needed to hear this story, told so plainly that they could understand and grasp every move God made to redeem His people...to redeem us into friendship with Him.


When she was done reading, you could have heard a pin drop.  She then shared the vision and encouragement to every adult in that room to teach these little ones about the redeemer who wove his scarlet thread through each story in order to keep his promises.


Yes, I bought the book, and I read it with the same enthusiasm to my children.  Mid-story, the little Mr. tapped me on the shoulder and asked, "Mama?  What's a redeemer?"  Oh, my sweet one!  I truly couldn't hold back my tears.  First, because I'm emotional like that.  Second, because I was so grateful for the opportunity to tell him.  I said, "A redeemer is someone who rescues people and sets them free."  He looked at me and smiled his huge grin then said, "Is Jesus the Redeemer?" Praise God HE IS!!!  


Not only do we have a God of second chances, but we have a God who keeps his promises.  A king and redeemer who rescued us and set us free.  


**If you are looking for a children's storybook that concisely tells the story from Genesis to Revelation, while making it clear how Jesus fulfilled all the promises in scripture, then I highly recommend this book as a supplement to devotional times you have with your children.


"I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand on the earth."
                                  Job 19:25

"They remembered that God was their rock, that God most high was their redeemer."
                                      Psalm 78:35

**I am not being compensated in any manner for the review of this book.  I simply love it, and wanted to share it's awesomeness with you!  

5 comments:

Nicole @ one half world said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Nikki! We'll check it out!

Laurie J said...

we do that @ our church, too....and it's great! lol on the sugary treats to 'become one with your 4 yr old self'!
<3

Jami said...

thanks for sharing this Nikki! I'm gonna check it out!

Unknown said...

Wow. I love it when people capture the story of Redemption in such a great way. I will have to let my church know about this!

haverlee said...

I checked for that one and saw it for $11.04 or something like that. The used ones say $7 something but you'll have to pay shipping on those. Any tips to find it for $5.20? Or was that a used price that's maybe all gone now?