Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Texting...





We just got texting capabilities on our phones.  I know...it's a shock how long I've survived without it.  You may be thinking, "Can you even get a phone plan without texting?"  Yes.  But Not until you've been asked multiple times by the customer service rep if you are,  "Truly sure you do not wish to have texting on your phone plan."


We've had texting for over a week now...and I have only sent one text...  I should share that I'm sort of anti-texting...I'm sharing this in my quiet voice...I don't have many pet-peeves...but, texting is one of them.  It may have something to do with the fact that my phone is *shock alert* out-dated and I have to punch the keys like five times as it cycles through every letter until I get the one I need.  It would be quicker if I just called and asked, "Hi Honey, what time are you coming home?"  It takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to type it out.  Probably because I'm a novice...whatever.

 
I am also not a texting fan because I can't wrap my brain around sending an abbreviated message..it makes this word-lovin' English major short circuit:  "Snt u a txt.  U get it?"  I'll stop there.  I'm probably treading on delicate territory. 

 
I'm mostly not a fan because while convenient, it means I don't connect with a 'real' person.  I want to hear someone's voice, laugh together, and understand *fully* what they mean.  But, in the same vein, I also avoid automated phone options, and always press zero for the operator.  See?  Need a human being over here people!

So, when I receive a sweet, "Thnkn bout u" Text from my hubby, I call him and thank him, then profess my undying love and devotion.  When my mama texts me: "evrythn ok?  jst chkn on u n the kids." I call her to let her know I am alive and well.  When My friend sends me a text: "Do u wnt to do lunch?" I call to confirm that indeed, I'd love to meet for lunch, how lovely of her to ask.


I suppose I just don't feel like I'm as adaptable as I used to be.  I don't seem to latch on to new things as easily as I used to (yes, I'm aware texting has been around for a while).  My sweet hubby thinks I'm just stubborn and a non-conformist. Well...I'm not going to address that right now *smile*.


So, I may be slow, but I suppose I'll text...once I figure it out. I'll squint as I look at the keys, mutter under my breath as I type, and declare this, "New fangled thing" to be a frustration while asking, "Why don't people just pick up the phone and call anymore?" Am I the texting Grinch?

Wish me luck as I attempt to keep up with the times.  Maybe for my next feat I'll get a Twitter account...





6 comments:

Laurie J said...

did you use the phrase "new fangled thing"?!? ;) LOVE! welcome to texting and a whole new world of rofl and other obnoxious abbreviations
<3

danielle @ take heart said...

thank you so much for your congrats on our sweet babes :) xoxo

Laura:: said...

i am having the same dilemma!! we actually just tonight got a droid. i've had texting on my phone since i was in middle school but internet... nope and we actually wouldn't have gotten it except husbands phone broke and it wasnt time for an upgrade and they had a super deal. so far i feel lost - cant figure out how to use it. but it seems like it'll be nice? good luck in your texting adventures!

and also... i don't text with abbreviations... spelled out words only!

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

I didn't like texting until I have a phone with a typepad and a texting plan. Now I love it...but that's because I hate talking on the phone. I also hate Twitter but I do it for the blog.

(You do realize that all this "Grr! I hate new technology!" makes us old, right?) :)

Heather said...

haha! i'm not alone! yea! :D seriously, i have one of those dinosaur, pay-as-you-go phones that doesn't even have a camera, let alone internet or a typepad or ANYTHING! my family wants to know why i don't text, and my answer is always the same--like i need one more thing eating up precious minutes in my day, and besides, who would i text?? i keep up with everyone i need to keep up with via facebook and e-mail. and if that's not sufficient, i pick up the phone. someday my daughters will roll their eyes at me and say, "OMG, my mom is SO ancient!" and i'll wear it like a badge of honor, my friend. ;)

Mom J said...

Why don't people just pick up the phone and call, you ask? BECAUSE YOU ALL DON'T ANSWER YOUR PHONES! :-) We still love you!