Monday, March 12, 2012

Meatless Monday...Thai Peanut Noodles

Wow...it's going to be a gorgeous week in Iowa, 60's today and 70's the rest of the week!  I think Spring is officially here! We had a great weekend with my parents who came up to celebrate my birthday, so this gal got away without cooking all weekend!  Last night around 10pm I realized I was back on kitchen duty today, which meant I should ease myself into things with a super-easy recipe. This Thai Peanut Noodle recipe is not only easy, but super-yummy!

This is actually one of those recipes my kiddos gobble up and then ask for seconds (probably because of the peanut butter).  When I originally made this, I sliced the carrots, but soon realized the texture was much better if they were shredded on a box grater.  I also used frozen broccoli florets that I steamed for 3 minutes in the microwave before sauteing all vegetables together.  Sliced red bell pepper was also a later addition which really made this recipe so much better!  Hope you all enjoy it!

Thai Peanut Noodles


1 pkg whole wheat linguine noodles
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 C. chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
5 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
3 tbsp. soy sauce
3 tbsp. honey (or brown sugar)
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated (powdered ginger is fine too)
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
2 tbsp. sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 C. broccoli florets
1 C. shredded carrots
1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 C. sugar snap peas
1/4 C. chopped cilantro

Directions:
1) Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and boil pasta until al dente.
2) Meanwhile, in a saucepan over low heat, whisk cornstarch into the chicken broth until dissolved.  Whisk in peanut butter, soy sauce, honey, 1 tsp. sesame oil, ginger and crushed red pepper until combined and slightly thickened (about 5 minutes).
3) Heat 2 tbsp. sesame oil in a skillet and saute garlic just until fragrant. Add all vegetables except cilantro and saute until tender.  
4)  Drain the pasta (do not rinse) and toss with vegetables and peanut sauce.  Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.


No comments: