Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mr. Mom...


Mr. Jackson would kill me for posting this...something about gender roles and manhood. But, I have to say he has been quite the happy homemaker lately. Initially there were a few chaotic days, and he was informed by Ethan that he was, "doing it wrong," but he's found his groove.

He's made good use of his time off work. He's been working on his portfolio and resume and doing a little side work. A friend gave him 10 sheets of plywood (the good stuff...not particle board) and he's been drawing up designs to build furniture. On top of this, he's been cooking, cleaning and taking care of the kids on my days at the office. When I come home for lunch, he's got a plate all ready for me (complete with a salad) WOW! I totally hit the jackpot with this guy.

The kids love having him home and so do I. Ethan and daddy have had some great times going on walks and running errands, and the little miss is soaking up every moment with dad. Our little family is functioning in a happy utopia. All this coming from what I would have initially dubbed "A Crisis" (I'm a little melodramatic).

It's got me thinking about how important dads are in the family unit. My kiddos have no clue that dad lost his job. We've shielded them from the unnecessary stress of those details...all they know is that he's here to spend more time with them and they need him. I've seen such a change in Ethan (less tantrums) and Eva follows him everywhere. My percentages have dropped a bit in the approval rating, but no matter, I love seeing my sweet kiddos following his every step. It's like a little 'Brent train' as they follow him from room to room to see what he's doing.

He even taught Eva a new word: 'apple'. I was thrilled (although a bit sad that I missed it). There are days we worry, and sometimes find ourselves anxious for God's answers. But, for now, we are seeing God changing our little family. He's showing us the desire of our hearts, and reminding us of the joy we can find in HIM:
Psalm 5:11

But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.


1 comment:

Kristina said...

Oh, Praise God! I love this! We have so been saying the same thing around here...that only God can turn a panic situation into such a blissful time of being together...so much! We daily laugh about the little utopia we have found ourselves in! Too bad we so often measure success in life around numbers (money) rather than REALLY important things....like time spent together....like learning more about God....like growing closer to Him and really learning to trust. So, your man doesn't have a 'job' for now, but real 'work' is being done in your family...and I love that! Thanks for sharing. (Oh...and I have found that this is a realization that you can only come to yourself...because it doesn't feel really good when people say, "Well, look at how much time you'll get together!" Many times, 'looking on the bright side' has to come straight from the Lord..as His idea!