Wednesday, October 19, 2011

KA-RA-ZY...

Okay...not going to lie.  Life has been crazy.  Really crazy.  Crazier than I normally infuse on a daily basis.  And honestly?  I'm in over my head.  


I could list out all of what's been going on, but frankly I don't want to see it in print, and I don't want to be the downer of the day for you either.


Ha!  I just read the first two paragraphs and realized I've already pulled you into my pit a little.  Let's climb out together shall we? 


One area that seems to be plugging along is homeschooling.  I really love it and so do the kids.  B has been such an encouragement in this area.  I have to give him so much credit, because I don't know that I'd have the strength to teach every day if he wasn't all, "Babe, you've got this and I'm so proud of you."  Yeah...he's amazing.


After a couple of months now, we've found our groove, and it's been incredible to see the little Mr. grasp new concepts and thriving.  He has been a breeze to teach.  He loves to learn and is such a trooper when it comes to sticking it out until we're done.  And the little Miss is really doing great too.  I see how allowing her to be a part of what we're doing is helping her to grasp some of the same concepts, but on her level.


Early on, we got plugged into a home instruction program through our school district.  You read that correctly...through our school district! What I love about the program is that it supports homeschooling parents and provides resources and even access to curriculum through a lending system should one choose.  Tapping into this resource has saved us so much moolah...but I'll write a post about homeschooling on a shoestring another day.


Twice a month, we have a visiting teacher who comes and does fun science experiments with the kiddos:




And an art project or two:




Mostly, she's there to support us in our endeavor to teach at home.  Through the home instruction program the little Mr. also takes part in a block class once a week, where he is placed in a classroom with other homeschooled students (in his case, grades K-2).  Right now they are learning about body systems, and I'm so impressed at how much he understands about how the body operates.  Future physician maybe?  A mama can dream.


I may have mentioned it before, but for us, homeschooling this year was sort of a trial.  We weren't absolutely tied to our decision to homeschool, and if it wasn't a good fit for our family, we had no problem admitting so and making a change.  But thankfully, it's been really wonderful.  


Sure there are days when the kiddos ask, "Do we have to do school?" Or I'm frustrated because there is way too much goofing off.  And let's face it, something had to give, and so this blog has been sorely neglected.  We're all striking a balance and trying to function in our new normal...which sometimes includes me passing out on the couch after a full day of teaching.


Hopefully, I can pull myself together and get back to posting stories about the craziness that is the Jackson '5'.  


I give you permission to hold me to it!

No comments: